The Hague Adoption Convention is an international treaty that provides important safeguards to protect the best interests of children, birth parents, and adoptive parents, who are involved in inter-country adoptions.
When adopting from a country that has signed the Hague Adoption Convention, there’s a process to follow, according to U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS):
Hague Process for International Adoption:
1. Find a Hague Accredited Adoption Service Provider
2. Obtain a Home Study from someone authorized to complete a Hague adoption home study
3. Apply to USCIS before adopting a child or accepting a placement for a determination that one is suitable for inter-country adoption.
4. Once USCIS approves the application, work with the adoption service provider to obtain a proposed adoption placement.
It is important to note that all adoption organizations will require that you obtain either an Apostille or a Certification on all your relevant documents. If you are adopting from a country that is a part of the Hague Adoption Convention, it is likely that you will only need to obtain an Apostille. For countries not a part of the Hague Adoption Convention, your documents will require Certification through the means of Embassy Legalization.
To avoid any delays in this process, gather all the necessary legal documents.
Examples of Documents:
- Criminal FBI Background Checks
- Birth Certificates
- Marriage Certificates
- Divorce Decrees
- Home Studies
- Deed of the House (certified by the county)
- Baptism Certificates
- Bank Accounts
- Reference Letters
WCS: The Go To People for Document Authentication
WCS is located right next to Washington, D.C.! We have close access to the necessary government entities and embassies needed for authentication. With WCS on your side, we will handle your document authentication, whether you need an Apostille, or Embassy Legalization. As always, We work diligently to ensure your documents are authenticated appropriately with the correct stamps and certifications, and returned back to you, headache-free. Not sure what kind of authentication your document needs? Contact us today!